Sunday, March 14, 2010

Simplicity 2590

I picked up this pretty fabric recently at Fabricland while trying to spend up a gift certificate that was a Christmas gift from my parents. I liked that it was wrinkled and soft and of course the pretty florals. I usually don't go for patterned fabrics, or even too much color (besides purple) for that matter. I tend to pick black, grey and brown tones but thought I would give this a try. I wanted to go with a simple design and had the Simplicity 2590 that I had used before for a dress for my cousin's wedding. I am still not sure if I love this shirt and have yet to wear it out of the house, but I am sure I will find an occasion for it with the weather hopefully staying warmer. For now I will wear it with jeans, boots and a scarf! I tried and tried to get a good shot of me wearing it but it was not just not working, so hopefully next time!

I used this pattern for the second time and made the version with the elasticized short sleeves and left out the gathered waistline. It is a pretty easy pattern, there are only 4 pieces - 2 sleeves, front and back. I also am not a "slave to instructions" as Jessi puts it, and I generally use the pattern pieces and like to figure out how to assemble them on my own. I find I can easily get lost in the details of the instructions and don't always have the time (or patience!) for the fiddlier parts. I suppose having two small children in the house and not always having the time I would like to spend on a garment could be a factor :)!! Next time I use this pattern I will probably alter the sleeve size as they are a little on the puffy side but it is a great pattern for light summer tops and I like the halter version too.

-Mandi

2 comments: